a) give learners the opportunty to work independently;
b) have the time and opportunity to work one-to-one with other learners, and
c) assess learners during the process.
These resources also give learners access to -
a) activities that have an auditory support built in;
b) control over the pace at which they work;
c) repeat an acitivity until they are happy with their level of competency; and
d) empower them in the learning environment.
Good question! Sometimes it feels like treading water with sharks circling for the "let me see if I like your taste". After some research seeing what was on the market and what was in the wallet, I decided on using SNAP! by Lectora for my first foray into this field. Lectora is offering this software package for $99US and I thought this was a great offer for someone who has no experience, but is very willing to learn. Another aspect of the package from this company is the access to video tutorials that show you how to use the different tools. It virtually offers you a step by step package to get you off the ground. The other great feature for me, was the 30 days free trial where I was able to play and get a feel for the software. I am aware of other simialr programs e.g. Articulate that are available, but decided on SNAP! for the previously mentioned reasons.
This is probably the easiest part of all, SNAP! opens a ribbon (see below) in Microsoft PowerPoint. If you are already familiar with PowerPoint then you are half-way there. Here's how I approached developing each resource.
1) Reviewed the resource module that the eLearning material would support.
2) Transfered the material to PowerPoint slides. You can develop the resource directly into PowerPoint.
3) Edited the transfered information to suit the new format i.e. PowerPoint.
4) Used the SNAP! tools to develop interactive activities and assessment.
5) Developed timing sequence for each slide. This took me longer than I initially expected, but I have improved since my first package.
6) Recorded audio support for learning material! Make sure you have a good quality microphone. I'm using a Logitech that is outstanding and cost about $80AUD.
7) Previewed the included quizzes, survey/s or videos.
8) I saved to a disc and you can publish your resource to the web.
Hope you can find a product that you like to help yourself and your learners too.